I have, in the past week, had several friends and family ask me how I like Italy. This inquiry is usually followed with something like "is it amazing/awesome/fantastic/wonderful?"
Italy is fine.
Parts of it are very beautiful, parts of it are covered in trash and debris. I have only seen the little bit of Campania that we have been able to adventure to and around. Most of my experience with Italy is while driving and let's face it, basing a country on its driving is not really a fair assessment of the country (for the most part).
HOWEVER.
Italy is like this:
Please note I do not normally take photos of my food, but this image really sums up what Italy has been like so far.
You may be asking, Italy is like a slice of pizza? It's like a cafeteria? Or saying, Maura, your photo doesn't explain anything.
Oh, but it explains everything. Notice that there is a 1/4 of a pizza. Notice that there is a 1/4 of a pizza shaped plate. NOTICE how the pizza is not aligned on the plate. This is what Italy is like.
They have plenty of reasonable systems and policies in place, but they choose to just do whatever they want, in everything. They do not form lines, they do not use roundabouts properly, they do not wait for anything. If a highway has 2 lanes marked on it, they will make it a 3, and sometimes 4, lane highway, because they can.
Italy is like a 1/4 of a pizza tossed all higgledy-piggledy onto a 1/4 of a pizza shaped plate. The pizza is delicious mind you, but still. (Food here is delicious, so that furthers my point.)
I think I should have ended up in Germany. The nonsensical disorder of Italy is really troubling the organized OCPD engineer in me.
