Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Frolicking in Florence: Day 2

November 28th

Today we went to L'Accademia, the Medici Chapel, and the Palazzo Vecchio.


L'Accademia - 

We got up early to get over the the L'Accademia to see Michelango's David.  Even though it's not the high tourist season, the museum was already getting busy by the time we got there.


We're starting with David's butt, because I know you always see the front and are really curious what he has packing back there.

I wish I had taken a photo of a gentleman who had the most amazing expression of awe on his face while looking at David.  I think I may remember that more than the statue.

The museum had other sculptures and a lot of religious art.  Dan and I started trying to figure out who all the saints depicted were.  There are some random saints out there.

This concludes the L'Accademia portion of our adventure.


The Medici Chapel - 

Photos were not allowed in the Medici Chapel, so this is going to be short.
This is the Medici Chapel courtyard!  And pretty much the only thing I was allowed to take a photo of.  Bask in the glory of the orange tree. Bask!

We toured the crypt and saw Donatello's tomb (Donato di Niccolò di Betto Bardi) and did a audio/video tour of the chapel.  The tour was free with our ticket and was done on an ipad.  It was cool.  This brought the number of artists who are Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles up to three!

The chapel was supposed to have some amazing front piece.  A contest was held and Michelangelo's design won.  He supposedly fallen in love with the project and thought it would be his greatest masterpiece.  The project was cancelled (below).  

This concludes the Medici Chapel portion of our adventure.


We walked past the Il Duomo on our way to the Palazzo Vecchio. So here's another attempt at a photo of it from the outside up close. 

Palazzo Vecchio -


The Palazzo Vecchio was built in the late 13th/early 14th century.  It housed the the Medici family until they moved to the Pitti Palace.  It is now the town hall in Florence.

This is a map of the whole building, or at least the parts tourists can get to.

Outside view of the Palazzo Vecchio, home of the Medicis and the original site of the David (left).


I don't know what was happening in this painting, but it's fabulous (right).

Something big and fancy was happening in the main room of the Palazzo Vecchio, so we couldn't wander around too much.  This is a view from the balcony (above).  They believe that there is a hidden da Vinci behind one of these massive wall frescoes.

Remember the tower in the photo of the Palazzo Vecchio from the square (a few photos ago)?  Yeah, I made Dan climb it.  He grumbled a bit.  But the view was great.

Look!  It's that two views of the same space thing again!  The left one is from yesterday (the top of Il Duomo's dome) and the right one is from today (the top of Palazzo Vecchio's tower).


And here's us!  Dan asked this nice man to take our photo and then pretty much everyone else asked him to take their photos too.

This concludes the Palazzo Vecchio portion of our adventure for today.


Random Photos -

Because who doesn't store their shoes and cologne on pink metal rams?



I am going to end day 2 with this wall of glass.  I thought it was pretty.  I hope you do too.


Today's Count:
  • 3 Museums
  • 1 Climb
  • 1 Same but Opposite View
  • 1, maybe 2, artists who are also a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle