Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Three Fishermen Song

January 2nd

Our flights home were uneventful.

Here is the song in its entirety as we sang it.  I am now aware that there are other verses, that we apparently skipped.  I am not sure if I have forgotten these verses in favor of skipping to the entertaining bit, or if my mom didn't know them or also just wanted to skip to the entertaining part.  I have included the lost verses in italics.  I am also now aware that there are a few different versions of this song, so you may have sung something similar.

For a long time this song is the only thing I knew about/in relation to Amsterdam.  Most of the time we would start laughing long before we got to the "dam" part of "Am-ster, Am-ster, dam dam dam."


The Three Fishermen Song

Once there were three fish-e-rmen.
Once there were three fish-e-rmen.
Fisher, fisher, men men men.
Fisher, fisher, men men men.
Once there were three fish-er-men.

The first one's name was Ab-ra-ham.
The first one's name was Ab-ra-ham.
Ab-ra, Ab-ra, ham ham ham.
Ab-ra, Ab-ra, ham ham ham.
The first one's name was Ab-ra-ham.

The second one's name was I-I-saac.
The second one's name was I-I-saac.
I-I, I-I, saac saac saac.
I-I, I-I, saac saac saac.
The second one's name was I-I-saac.

The third one's name was Jay-ay-cob.
The third one's name was Jay-ay-cob.
Jay-ay, Jay-ay, cob cob cob.
Jay-ay, Jay-ay, cob cob cob.
The third one's name was Jay-ay-cob.

They all went off to Jer-ri-cho.
They all went off to Jer-ri-cho.
Jer-ri, Jer-ri, cho cho cho.
Jer-ri, Jer-ri, cho cho cho.
They all went off to Jer-ri-cho.

They should have gone to Am-ster-dam.
They should have gone to Am-ster-dam.
Am-ster, Am-ster, shh shh shh.
Am-ster, Am-ster, shh shh shh.
They should have gone to Am-ster-dam.

We must not say that naugh-ty word.
We must not say that naugh-ty word.
Naugh-ty, naugh-ty, word word word.
Naugh-ty, naugh-ty, word word word.
We must not say that naugh-ty word.

We're going to say it an-y way.
We're going to say it an-y way.
An-y, an-y, way way way.
An-y, an-y, way way way.
We're going to say it an-y way.

They should have gone to Am-ster-dam.
They should have gone to Am-ster-dam.
Am-ster, Am-ster, dam dam dam.
Am-ster, Am-ster, dam dam dam.
They should have gone to Am-ster-dam.