Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Oktoberfest: Day 1 - Shenanigans Begin

September 25th

We went to Oktoberfest in Munich with our friends John and Savannah.  We got in late the night before so shenanigans didn't really start until the next morning.  We had to acquire tracht for Dan, John, and Savannah.  I acquired mine in Rothenburg on a previous trip to Germany.  Then onto the tents!

 But first, the first beer of Oktoberfest!  Free Lufthansa beer!

Savannah helping John with his lederhosen. 

Oktoberfest!






We met up with Ann and Matt and some of their friends in the Paulaner tent.  
Where we hung out and drank for several hours.

We were not fancy enough to have one of these tables.

Savannah is demonstrating that we are so squished in that we would all be like T-Rexes trying to drink and eat.  
Periodically someone would stand up and try to chug their liter of beer.  
The crowd was not kind if you didn't COMPLETELY finish your beer.



So much beer!

Our weird German friend who was sitting at the end of the table.





I swear I'm not choking Dan.  And I felt bad for pushing Savannah out of a previous photo.


Traditional Oktoberfest songs include Sweet Caroline...

And Hey Baby




I have no idea what the guy behind me is doing.

But it doesn't matter because I have beer!


Giant pretzels!

And this guy's amazing hat.

Don't feel left out:


We left the tent to go explore the Oktoberfest rides.  
We may or may not have remembered these events the next day.

Views from the Ferris Wheel:

John fell asleep and we were the terror of the other people in the carriage.




We vacated the ferris wheel and searched for a slide that someone had told John about.

Apparently we decided it was not this slide.

I took my grandma's purse with me because it's a German purse.

John and Dan had a bro-ment (a bro moment).

We decided to go on this ride.

We did not realize, until we got on it, that the individual cars spin.  
This may have been a bad idea.

The search for the fabled slide continued:


We found it!

It's the Toboggan!  So you ride this rubber conveyor belt to the midlevel and the climb the stairs to the top and then slide down on a rug.  I am the only one who didn't fall on the conveyor belt.

Dan did not slide very well and I crashed into him at the bottom, because I slid very well.

This is apparently the hillside where people go when they have had enough.  
We had not had enough so we went downtown to the Hofbräuhaus. 



A little more disheveled than before, but still having a good time.

Savannah made a friend.

John might be done...

I was pretending my pigtail ends were crazy eyebrows.  I might also be done...

So we headed home.
Here we see Savannah and Dan running ahead,  John is trying to stay awake.

This concludes our adventures for today.