Dan had work outside of London so I tagged along. Also it's Thanksgiving week, so we just stayed in London for his time off.
The first day he went off to his conference and I went to find the Victoria & Albert (V&A) Museum. I was very interested to see their costume and theater exhibit.
A super English looking street (and sky). I don't know what makes it English looking, it just is.
I managed to figure out how to get an Oyster Card (the underground card) and navigated the Tube(the underground) to get to the V&A.
The V&A!
They have, what I think is, a Chihuly sculpture in the entrance.
Marble insignia of the V&A.
The V&A layout is confusing at best.
This is the ironwork exhibit I wandered through trying to find the costume exhibit.
And I was able to look down into this gallery...which I'm going to call giant marble things.
More of the giant marble things.
And some more giant marble things.
I wandered through a very sparkly jewelry exhibit, but no photos were allowed.
Then I finally found the costume exhibit.
This is the Joey puppet from War Horse (2009-2013).
The three puppeteers are the Head, the Heart, and the Hind.
A Valkyrie showgirl costume from The Producers (2000).
It appears in the Springtime for Hitler song.
Costumes used in rock shows. Left to right:
Chris Martin of Coldplay - worn in 2008 for the album Viva la Vida.
Mick Jagger of the Rolling Stones - worn for the band's 1972 European tour.
Adam Ant of Adam and the Ants - worn for their 1981 music video Prince Charming.
Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin - Egyptian and Hebrew styles worn during the 1970's.
The central gold dress was for the character Irina Arkadina (played by Dame Judi Dench) in the 1994 production of The Seagull. The right red dress was for the character Lady Bracknell (played by Maggie Smith) in the 1993 production of The Importance of Being Earnest.
This is Kylie Minogue's dressing room from her 2007 Showgirl: Homecoming tour.
These are both ballet costumes.
On the left is a costume for the character The Fairy in the 1981 production of The Wooden Prince.
On the right (gold outfit) is a costume recreated from the 1653 ballet Le Ballet Royal de la Nuit.
The design and headress/wig for the 1945 production of Cleopatra featuring Vivien Leigh.
This is a crazy assortment of headdresses. In the center is a "Sydney Opera House" hat worn by Dame Edna Everage a character played by Barry Humphries.
This is a set design for the closing ceremony at the 2012 London Paralympics.
This is a set design for a 2013 production of Othello performed in Singapore.
The left skeletal costumes are for the 2014 production of Before Dawn.
The colorful suits are costumes from the 2014 production of Mosé in Egitto by Rossini.
This concludes the costume and theatre exhibit at the V&A. Around this time I wasn't feeling too well, and thought it might be because I was hungry. I wandered through the museum trying to find the cafe.
The central courtyard at the V&A.
After lunch I was still not feeling well and proceeded to feel worse after leaving the museum. I made my way back to our hotel and mostly rested for the remainder of the day. Dan returned from his conference also feeling under the weather. Our trip to London may be more laid back than we were expecting.