Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Geocaching at Carney Park

January 23rd

My cousin Heather works at Carney Park and organized a Geocaching event.
Dan and I came to help.
Trying to get everyone's device to find the correct GPS coordinates was a little tricky.

We decided to climb the volcano and look for a cache that's up there on the end of the ridge by those trees.  This was mostly because I had found the cache there previously, so we could guarantee to at least be looking in the correct spot.

Our hike begins!  We had a good group of people turn out for the event.
The trail is narrow and in some places not well kept.

Our first stop for photos of the view.

And a little bit of rock scrambling.

Some of the view.

Some more of the view.

Now up the steep and narrow part.  I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a trail, but I used it last time with Michael. So we're going this way because I know it will get us to where we want to go.
Outside and inside the park.  We started waaaaaaaay down there in the parking lot.  
It's right of the center of the photo.

We got to the general area where the cache is hidden and everyone began looking.

And looking.

And looking some more.  Unfortunately, this cache had gone missing.  Total bummer.  

A view of the golf course.

There's another cache a little ways up the trail though, so I ran ahead to see if it was still there.  It was, though it had been emptied out.  So I put some paper in it for a log and sent the group on their way to find it.

Hurray!  Cache found!

Go team Geocaching Event!

We broke off at this point.  Some people continued to hike, others had to leave for other appointments.  We stayed and mucked about a bit.

Actually on our way down we found the first cache's cache.  It looks like a dog or other animal found and and carried it along for a bit before discarding it.  Those still with us signed the log and then I took it back to where it was supposed to be.

And to finish off our hike, here are some seed pods (above) and a weird flower thing (below).  
I don't know what either of them are.

This concludes our adventures for today.