Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2022

Tuscany Adventures: Grosseto

 19-Nov-22

It is supposed to be rainy all day today. We decided to try to explore some of Grosseto's inside offerings.

But first we need to go play for a bit after breakfast.

It's hard to tell, but this church is pale pink with rose colored stripes. 
It's the Cathedral of San Lorenzo.

We went to the Natural History Museum, which was small, but nice. I liked this room that had a big wall of all types of living things. And in blacklight! 

Octopus! and Snail! 

A tardigrade for my mom.

Frog!

There were some nice habitat exhibits.

A dung beetle for Erin.

A corner for my mom.

It was raining pretty hard so we wandered around the museum a second time. Then waited awkwardly in the lobby hoping the rain would let up.

A fun door knocker.

We grabbed lunch at a bar that I'm not sure was actually open for lunch, but they fed us anyway.

We also tried to go to the archeology museum, but KC was bored and over it and so we only quickly walked through it. 

I guess if we wanted to go in the church, we should have done it earlier.

Weird Jesus sculpture. It's from a collection called the Biennial of Waste by Rodolfo Lacquaniti. It's made from old terracotta making machines and various agricultural implements.

Quaint Italian alley!

Street art.

More street art.

We had exhausted the indoor options that Grosseto (at least that would be of interest to KC.) It was still raining, and it was supposed to rain for the rest of the day and into tomorrow. Not really looking forward to two young kids locked in a hotel room for another night and morning, we decided to head home a little early.

On our way out, I wanted to try again to get up to Montepescali. We tried the other day, but the way Google took us was up a pretty rough and rugged "road." I'm not sure it was actually fit for cars, so we gave up. I found another way today that was definitely a road.

Even with the clouds, it's still a nice view. I was open to stopping at anything interesting on the way home, but the rain got pretty bad so we went straight back.