Every year, my mom, aunts, and cousin get together for Hags' Weekend. We hang out, catch up on everyone's drama, do some activities, and drink a lot of champagne. This year we had it on Amelia Island, Florida.
15-Mar-23
I dropped the girls off at school and took a taxi to the airport. Getting out of Rome wasn't too bad, but I had a layover in New York. Getting my bag after clearing customs took FOREVER. So By the time I got to the transit luggage drop-off, they wouldn't take it because "there wasn't enough time before my flight." So I waited in the reconnections line.
There were no more flights out of JFK to Jacksonville today, but apparently there was a super delayed flight at La Guardia if I wanted to try that one. Surprisingly, they gave me a voucher for a ride to change airports. Anyway, I made that flight and my mom was able to pick me up at the JAX airport at only like midnight instead of 9pm. She had driven down from Virginia.
16-Mar-23
Today the rest of the Hags arrived - Susan (my mom), Tisha, Gina, Sally, and Nancy. We're only missing my cousin Tracy, who is arriving tomorrow after lunch.
17-Mar-23
This morning we're going kayaking. I told the guide that we were the Hot Mess. It wasn't untrue.
It was supposed to be, I think, like an hour out and an hour back, but we meandered slowly along the river looking at fauna, flora, and chatting. This meant that we were not back to the dock in time to then get to the airport to get Tracy. Oops. Luckily, she is quite resourceful and was able to get a taxi to meet us at lunch.
After lunch we went out on a Backwater Cat Adventure.
These little proprietary boats felt like going on a boat ride and tubing at the same time.
It was a little terrifying and a lot of fun.
We drove out from Amelia Island up into Georgia.
This is the Explosives Handling Wharf at Kingsbay Submarine Base.
We used to live there! In Kingsbay (well Saint Marys) not the wharf.
We stopped off on Cumberland Island to see the feral horses. They're in the background if you squint.
19-Mar-23
I think we had bad weather yesterday, so mostly stayed in. Today we got lunch in downtown Fernandina Beach. I found some lobster art.
Tracy and I survived the Hags' first escape room. I think some of them have done escape rooms before, but we've never done one as a group. It was....interesting.
These are the books I purchased for my mom as a thank you for organizing Hags' Weekend this year. I hope they are amusing.
Monday I flew home. It was thankfully, uneventful. Can't wait for next year!
*For those of you wondering, Dan stayed home with the girls. They were all alive and intact when I got back.






