Happy New Fiscal Year! For those of you who have new fiscal years starting in October. The military does. I think it's weird.
Today our UAB (unaccompanied baggage) is supposed to be delivered. You may remember it from this post. (I just figured out how to reference past posts. Woo!)
A few days ago we decided to try to get our UAB back. I received an email before we left the US that it was already in storage in Italy and waiting for us, so now that we're here we might as well get it. The Navy Lodge has most amenities that we need but this way we could have some more clothes, decent cooking supplies, video games, and I could get my sewing machine.
The UAB was supposed to show up around 8:30, but we were informed it could be anytime during the day.
So we wait.
Dan went off to test drive a car.
And we wait.
I went off to investigate something called NOSC (Naples Overseas Club). It was supposed to be a welcome social or something, but it was kind of disorganized and I felt really uncomfortable. I did not stay long.
We wait some more.
Dan decides to go into work for the afternoon.
I wait.
| UAB finally arrives around 14:00. It took all of 15 minutes for the movers to drop off our boxes. We received the same number of boxes we sent, which is promising. Now we have to go through them and see if anything has been damaged. A few boxes are a little worse for wear but hopefully it's just the box. W insisted on investigating the boxes. They weren't even open yet. |
I test drove a car this evening. Most of the vehicles here are manuals and I have not driven a manual since I had to drive my friend Mary Rose home (in her car) because she dislocated her shoulder. Luckily for her, she had taken me out to practice driving stick the weekend before. This was about three years ago.
At 16 my gather tried to teach me to drive stick in his F150 pickup truck. I could not get that truck into 1st for love nor money. Our big teaching adventure ended up with me stalled out in traffic with everyone honking at me, my dad yelling, and me crying. So needless to say, my manual driving skills are rusty to nonexistent. I see a lot of practice driving around base in my near future.