Pages

Monday, February 6, 2023

Basilica di San Giovanni and Some Steps

 06-Feb-2023

This morning we went to check out San Clemente's Basilica, which was recommended by the guide at the church yesterday. It was pretty neat, but no photos were allowed. It's a 12th century church on top of a 4th century church on top of 1st century Roman things. I suggest checking it out if you get the chance. Be aware the whole shebang closes from 1230-1500. Oh! It's also, maybe/at one time, the final resting place of St. Cyril who developed the Cyrillic alphabet

Outside the church doors, but in the courtyard is this mailbox looking memorial. After A LOT of internet searching, I think this is written in Glagolitic, which was St. Cyril's first alphabet. If anyone wants to translate it for me, let me know. I'm guessing it's a passage from the bible.

We wandered away from St. Clemente's and stopped in another church where nuns were singing midday prayers. And then we found this obelisk.

It's from the 15th century BC.

There was a line of people waiting to touch the foot of Baby Jesus on this bronze door. 
So we did it too.

Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano is the basilica in Rome of which Pope Francis is Cardinal of, or something like that. It is HUGE.

It's also technically part of the Holy See....so...I'm not sure how that works, since it's not in Vatican City.

I think this statue has a quest for me.

A side chapel.

A very ornate confessional.

HUUUUUUUUGE.....walls of art.

A slightly derpy dove floor mosaic.

ALL the Papal crests. You could buy this as a poster from the gift shop. I did not.

My dad is chosen!

Just massive in every respect. 
Also, importantly, I found a public bathroom behind an open secret wall door inside.

We were going to see the Sacred Stairs, but they were closed for lunch. So we went to find lunch. 
Here's Saint Francis.
We went to Hoppiness which was just down the road. They had good food, including a curry hummus I want to try to recreate.

Anyway, Sacred Stairs! If you go up them, you go up on your knees.
They lead to the Sancta Sanctorum, the first private Papal chapel. Supposedly the stairs are from Pontius Pilate's palace and it's believed that Jesus would have walked them several times.

These are the stairs next door for going up. You don't have to go up on your knees.

The main altar.

The ceiling with the symbols of the four gospel writers.

This altar piece was supposedly started by St. Luke and finished by an angel. 
It's known as an  acheiropoieta.

Behind that grate is the top of the stairs.
Apparently at one point the chapel had the heads of Saint Peter, Saint Paul, and Saint Agnes.

So then there's there's 3? 4? other chapels wrapped around the Sancta Sanctorum.

You can use the poster of all the Papal crests from before to identify these!
(They're Pius IX and Pius XI)

I feel like the chapels get more modern as we walk around.

A cool inlayed stone altar. (Sixtus V)

This looks more like a courtroom than a chapel, but I don't remember what the deal with this is.

And the stairs for going down.
We had to head back to the car to get the girls from school.

Story time with grandpa is the best!