Dan is still badly jet lagged. I decided to go off on a USO tour adventure with Tom and Brittany.
We piled into a bus which drove us to a vineyard on Mount Vesuvius, Cantina del Vesuvio. The roadways and corners the bus driver made it around were ridiculous. I would have been stuck/ in so many accidents. It was impressive.
Apparently this place is mostly for tourists. You go out and cut some grapes from the vines, you can stomp the grapes a la I Love Lucy, and then you can have a lunch and wine tasting. And of course there is wine available for purchase at the end.
Tom was not really interested in cutting grapes, but Brittany and I were all over it.
We had to wait for the kids to stomp grapes before we were allowed to stomp grapes. I was not happy about this. Why do we always insist on letting kids do things first? I want to do things. We finally get to stomp grapes! It is oddly satisfying. It's kind of like popping bubble wrap, except for your toes, and gooshy. I liked it. I seriously recommend going to the grocery store, buying some grapes, sticking them in a bucket and stomping on them. You will feel better after.
The lunch comprised of salami, bruschetta with tomatoes, and spaghetti. We tried their Lacryma Christi wines (a Rosso, a Rosato, a Bianco, and a Reserva). We also tried their sparkling wine, Capafresca Spumante, which I liked the best, but it may have had something to do with it being hot and the wine being cold. We also tried the Grappa they distill and the olive oil they make from their olive grove. It was all quite tasty.
Once I returned from grape stomping, we tried to figure out what we wanted to do about housing. Unfortunately no solutions were determined. Both on base and off base have advantages and disadvantages, and neither option screams the right choice.
Maybe tomorrow we will figure out what we want to do. We have to tell housing on Monday.

