Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Spain: Day 2 - L'Estartit Dive #1

July 4th

Happy 4th of July American friends!  

Also this is my 150th blog post.  Wooo!


Today we went diving.


Dive #1:

Our first dive was a coastal dive at  Punta Salinas (Salinas Point).  I had not really been diving (excluding Marmaris, Turkey) since I did my check out dives in 2012.  I reviewed my diving book and everything, but when I got in the water, I had a panic attack.  Luckily our guide, Francesc, was great.  He got me to calm down and I was able to do the dive.  I was very grateful that we had him as our guide and that it was just Dan and I with him.

We purchased a GoPro camera to take diving with us.  Because of my nervousness with the dive, Dan was in charge of the GoPro.  I have tried to color correct the underwater photos as everything pretty much goes blue after 5 meters depth. 

Rinsing my mask so it doesn't fog up while diving.

Dan forgot to look at the camera.

A Red Starfish.

There's my butt!  Also our guide Francesc.

Common 2-Banded Seabreams.  
We saw a lot of these, be prepared to see many photos of them.

Sea floor.

Common 2-Banded Seabreams.

Isn't dive gear sexy?   
The water was around 20º C (68º F) so we were wearing hooded 6mm wetsuits.

Dan selfie!

Common 2-Banded Seabream.

Unknown stripy fish.  (It's in the middle on the rock.)

Diving!

Sea floor part two.

I think these stripy fish are Sand Smelt.  (They're on the rock in the middle.)

Fishies feeding.

ENHANCE.

ENHANCE.

Dan scared the fishies away. 

Lots of fishies out in the blue.

Sea Urchins!

A Damselfish.

Hello!

Hello again!

Sea floor part three.

Another Red Starfish.

Ah yes, the rare Common 2-Banded Seabream.

And here it is again.

Just keep swimming.

Looking up.  Maybe Dan wants to be where the people are.

More diving.


Completed dive! 
  
I had some trouble with my buoyancy during the dive, but it was good once I calmed down. 
The boat had a fancy dive elevator thing that lifted you out of the water.  It was pretty sweet.

I do not currently have the software to color correct video installed on my computer, so here it is as is.  In the future I may upload corrected video, but I wanted to get this post up in a reasonable amount of time (unlike some of the past posts).


This concludes our first dive adventure.