Pages

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Alpine Wanderings - Dan's Adventures

September 10th-16th

And what was Dan doing all this time?  I've asked him to write this blog post and tell you.

Hallo, Dan here. Maura said I had to write about what I did while she was off gallivanting around the Alps. The second part of my conference was a road trip to a bunch of various military headquarters that are located around Germany and Belgium.  So, each day was about 5 hours in a car, stop at a hotel, grab dinner, sleep, wake up and go to a bunch of talks and tours about what that particular base did, then back in the vans for 5 more hours. Our itinerary was:

Grafenwöhr, Stuttgart, Wiesbaden, Kaiserslautern, Mons, Waterloo, Luxembourg, and Garmish

We took a little bit of time in Belgium for some more touristy type things.  We stopped at the Waterloo battlefield museum/memorial north of Mons for one afternoon.  Below are pictures from that. Also we broke up the last day’s drive by stopping at the US Military Cemetery in Luxembourg. I probably took fewer pictures than Maura did.

Here are some chicken statues that were outside of a restaurant we ate dinner at the 1st or 2nd night.

I wonder what was for sale at this store?

This was the view out my hotel window in Mons.

Some art on the walk to dinner.

Proof that I was in Belgium. The city center plaza in Mons.

The rest are photos from the Waterloo battlefield.
The monument is a giant earthen mound with a lion on top.

Various uniforms that would have been worn by various armies at the battle of Waterloo.

These cartoon maps amused me. They all show a version of the political situation in Europe around the period of the Napoleonic Wars.

This was a neat video they had showing some recreation of how the battle unfolded.


After the museum, we climbed all the steps up to the top of the mound.

Here is a 360 view of what looking from the middle of the memorial mound might have looked like in the middle of the mound.


It was hard to get a picture of the lion from right below it.

Again, I was there.

After travelling around we ended up back in Garmisch, our starting point.

This concludes my adventures for the week.