Pages

Friday, September 15, 2017

Alpine Wanderings - Day 9 Innsbruck, Austria

September 14th

Good morning Innsbruck!

We we planned this adventure, all we did was book hotels.  Nothing  else was planned.  

Let's go exploring!

The Triumphal Arch was built in 1765.  
It was built to commemorate the wedding of Archduke Leopold to Maria Luisa. 

Innsbruck is the capitol of Tyrol, Austria.

Tyrol is one of the nine Austrian states.  Tyrol has a section that is completely separated by another state, Salzburg, and northern Italy.

A very interesting looking Hard Rock Cafe.  We stopped in to get Dan a pin.

Looking down the pedestrian Maria Theresein Strasse.

This is the Goldenes Dachl.  
It was completed in 1500 for Emperor Maximilian I to mark his marriage to Bianca Maria Sforza.

There are 2,657 fire-gilded copper tiles on the golden roof.

Because the weather was decent, we took a series of cable cars up to the top of Hafelekarspitze.

Unfortunately the clouds are coming in.  Noooooo!

Looking out into the Alps.

Some funny friendly birds.  They are Alpine Choughs. 

This is the summit cross for Hafelekarspitze.  The summit point is at 2,334 meters (7,657 feet).

Innsbruck surrounded by mountains and clouds.

I was there!  My hair is super excited! 
(It was very windy.)

The river Inn divides the city.  Innsbruck means "Inn Bridge."

There was a glider or something coming down the valley.  
It was fun to watch it go in and out of the clouds.

Find ALL the geological features!

No clouds!  NOoooooOOOO!!!

Looking East up the valley.

Little purple Alpine flowers.

That little house on the left is a cosmic radiation survey station.

We went to see what was beyond the research station.

There was a small memorial for a hang glider who didn't make it.

There is a trail that passes through here.  Where it goes, I do not know.

They can explode things over the snow to stop/disperse avalanches!

An avalanche control tower....I think.

Other Dan is going to get lost in the clouds.

There's another summit point over here.

Another commemorative site.  

Little blue Alpine flowers.

And another commemorative site.

The little Innsbruck airport.

Trail directions.  I'm not sure I'd want to hike up here.  There's a whole lotta nothing for a long time.

And another commemorative site.

Those white blobs are sheep.  There were sheep wandering all over the mountain side.

I thought the highway curving off into the distance was kind of neat.

Mountain labels for the opposite side of the valley:

We thought we'd head down and explore the lower cable car station.

I guess the orange balls need to be inspected from time to time. 
This one is for visibility in foggy weather...I think.

Various cables used on the cable cars and their cross-sections.

Here is a map of the facilities and ski slopes.  Green checks mean they are open/running.

This one shows "easy hikes" and that the service huts are open.

This mountain bike trail blends into the Inn river.

The Apline Cloughs again.  The one in the back looks a little ruffled.

SOOOOO much gravel.  Also the hut/bar/souvenir shop/etc at the lower summit.

Some more trails and....a thing.

Oh! It's a ski lift!  They've pulled all the chairs off and they're stacked up on the right.

This mountain face is used for rock climbing.

Here are the different paths you can choose to climb.

I think this is the bunny slope.  Currently it's the sheepy slope.

Ahah!  There's one black sheep!

Sorry, this is not the bunny slope, this is skyline park.  It's for doing short quick runs with tricks and jumps and things. 

The clouds might be chasing us down the mountain.

Oh!  So this is exciting!  Do you see the person in blue?  
Just below them, towards the bottom of the greenery, is (I think) an Alpine Ibex!

There were a few of them (middle of the photo).  It was really cool to see.

On the way down the cable car, we saw the start to the mountain bike trail.  
I would die.  Just face plant and be done.

This is another ski lift.  They look funny without snow around them.

Trails, mountain bike paths, and an access road.

Slowly descending back into the valley.

Out of the cable car, you can see the white spot.  That's the hut at the lower summit.

I believe the colorful apartment buildings on the left were the Olympic village.  Innsbruck hosted the Winter Olympics in 1964 and 1976.

We stumbled  upon a shop that sold pour your own alcohol.  You purchased your bottle and then filled it from one of the decanters.  It was a neat wall of alcohol.

Back to old town Innsbruck.

Some of these old buildings have really beautiful details.


This street performing had the CUTEST little dog.  He has his own sleeping bag and hat!

A beautifully decorated building and the Triumphal Arch.

I found a little street art of Venice.

This is the Tyrolean Glass Painting Institute.

Also apparently mosaics.

Papal things, I think.  Maybe Bishopy things.  It says "United Forces." 

St. Damian, Nicolas Steno, and St. Cosmas.

We had wandered off to a less touristy area of town.  We were hungry so we took a shot at a small bar that said it served food.  I think the barman was super confused as to why we were there/how we had ended up in his bar.  Regardless we had bowls of delicious food involving knodel.  Which was amazing and I need to learn how to make it.  

As you can see, it started to rain as the clouds came further down the mountain.

Prechthaus clock mechanism.

Guess what?  We're going to climb a tower!
Innsbruck's City Tower was first documented in 1450.

There are two sets of 133 spiral steps.  One way takes you up, the other takes you down.
I couldn't decide which artsy stair photo I liked better, so you're getting both of them.

At the very top is a glass floor looking down and an observation area.

This is looking down the outside of the stairs, but the inside of the tower walls.

A rainy Innsbruck.

What you can see.

A dolphin gargoyle and the Goldenes Dachl.  Also a cluster of tourists.

I dragged Other Dan into a fabric store around here.  We joked about making him a suit out of the ugliest/most ridiculous fabrics we could find.  Think rainbow colored faux fur.
I have never seen rolls of cork and wood veneer as fabric.

The rain started to clear up and with the sun starting to set we had some lovely light in the evening.

The clouds made it all the way down the mountain.

What in the world?

It's a bunch of blue mannequins.   Okay.

These people have a great walkway to their house.

Hey, remember how it had rained earlier?  It snowed on the mountain!

So....what do we think?  Break-up?  Eviction? Got way to into KonMari?

In three languages - English, Russian, and French, "To those who died for the freedom of Austria."
Snow on the mountains, the Tyrolean flag, and a War Memorial.

It's looking like a lovely sunset.

Pretty clouds.

We're going to try to go to this restaurant tomorrow.  The kitchen side had closed by the time we got there and the bar was full of cigarette smoke, so we left.

The front door of our hotel has a pretty nice view right now too.

And one more.  The view looking down from our hotel.

We ate food here for the night.  We drank quite a few beers and had some good food.  I asked the bar if they'd let me buy one of their half mass glasses of the beer we had been drinking.  It was a present for Dan.  The waiter gave it to me for free.

This concludes our adventures for today.