On the evening of the 24th, we acquired Michael's girlfriend Sam from the airport, bundled her into a car and drove 4 hours up to Arezzo. Dan and I wanted to go because they were having a big market. We took two cars - Dan had Michael and Sam, I had Ta. Dan would go back home with Ta on Sunday and I would continue adventures with Michael and Sam.
This first part is mostly a collection of photos of the market.
Portrait and countryside photos to break up the market photos:
And a little bit more market:
We acquired a few odds and ends and a wine barrel wine holder.
We then adventured off to do some wine tasting.
These are photos from wandering around looking for a winery.
We found the winery!
Agricola Buccellletti Winery was lovely. It is run by two women who were repeatedly told that they didn't know what they were doing, and how could two ladies run a winery and other such non encouraging sentiments. A few years later and the two ladies are now who all the naysayers turn to for wine advice.
We did a quick tour and then got to the drinking.
These are fermentation tanks from the 1950's or so.
A really old olive oil jar. The wooden lid still smells like the oil.
The tasting:
I think we were supposed to get 4 wines but we got talking and Lidia or Roberta (I forgot which is which) just kept pouring. I think we had 4 wines, 2 dessert wines, 3 or 4 grappas, and a brandy.
It was a good afternoon.
Some of the aftermath of the tasting.
Sam and Michael among all the glasses.
We of course bought wine.
This concludes our adventure for today.
