Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Michael & Sam Visit: Cinque Terre Day 2

April 27th

This morning we took a train down to the southernmost town in Cinque Terre, Riomaggiore.  It is know for its giant murals.

Riomaggiore:








This guy REALLY hated that fish.


We had taken the train to Riomaggiore with the plan of then hiking to Manarola.  
So we did!  
We had a better start this time.
I'm not sure what these signs are telling us other than direction.  
I don't know if those numbers are the time or distance to the various towns.

Hey this isn't so bad...oh wait.  We're going to climb up this hillside aren't we?

Yes.  Yes we are.  
Ciao Ciao Riomaggiore!

Looking back down the steps we have come up.  We aren't even halfway up yet.  Sigh.  

Holy Moses on a matzo I am out of shape.  Sam at least stopped around when I did.  
Michael would run back and forth up the steps to take photos and not even be breathing hard.  
Sam and I thought about making him carry ALL of the backpacks to slow him down.

Pretty flower thingie!

I guess we're done with steps, but we're still going up.  How much up can there be?
We hiked up through vineyards.  I would not want to be the person who has to tend them (though I'd probably be in better shape if I was).

Manarola?  Is that you?

It is you!  And some weird things on the hillside.  
Also we finally made it to the top.

I found a geocache!

So many terraces. 

The weird things on the hillside turned out to be big cut outs of the Stations of the Cross and the Last Super.  There was a path you could take to get to each of them.  We did not do this.

Getting down the hill on the otherside was a little tricky.  Because of the rain it was muddy and the rocks were slick.  Thankfully nobody went tumbling down the hill.


Manarola:









We needed to get to Corniglia as that was where we staying for the night.  We debated getting there via hiking, but decided to take the train instead.  We were all a bit wet, and my pack had not been sitting correctly the first day which gave me a big knot on either side of my collarbone.  The train seemed like a really good idea.

More on Corniglia next time.

This concludes our adventure for today.