Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

TPU or Not

August 11th

Today was Dan's adventure.  I spent it doing laundry over at our friend Michael's place.  I achieved this by shoving all of our laundry into a sea bag and biking up to Michael's apartment.

Dan went in search of TPU (Transient Personnel Unit) to try to get a temporary assignment so that he does not have to burn leave while we wait to move.  TPU told him that he didn't apply to them and that he wasn't their problem.  I mean, they're the TRANSIENT PERSONNEL UNIT.  How could he possibly NOT be their problem? 

He left TPU, while waiting to get a hold of someone from the Desron, to go find the transportation people and inquire about our flights to Italy and what to do about our pets.  After informing them that no, we would not be willing to leave our pets behind, and a bit more diplomatic discussion (I probably would have just started crying), they said maybe they could get us all out together on September 17th.  Maybe.

We were supposed to move 18 August, then 27 August, and now we're at 17 September.  MAYBE.

At this point he came over and acquired me so we could get lunch and he could let me know all this had all transpired.

After lunch he went back to base to try to figure out what to do next.   He got in touch with the Desron who made some calls and he met up with a Lt. at TPU.  Despite its name, TPU apparently only deals with Service Members who are trying to get back to deployed ships.  That is all.

Dan is waiting to find out if one of the other Desrons will babysit him while we wait to move.

All of our stuff leaves at the end of this week.  We will then go to Iowa.  I do not know what Dan is going to do for work/not burning leave, and I'm not sure what we are going to do about living arrangements.  Hopefully we will have more information tomorrow.



In other news,  Robin Williams died today at 63.  It is believed he committed suicide.  I hope that he is at peace and is enjoying whatever afterlife he believed in.  The world has lost an amazing man.