Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Decisions, Decisions

Waaaaaay back in January, Dan told the Navy where we would like to go for our Shore Tour (Shore Tour - should not have any major deployments, if any deployments at all).  We had talked about wanting to go overseas if the opportunity ever came up, well here was our opportunity.

Major overseas bases for the submarine community are in Italy, Spain, Guam, or Japan.  Every so often other places show up, but our options were limited to Italy, Guam, Japan, or the Bahamas.   Don't get so excited about the Bahamas.  That duty station is actually based in southern Florida and only Dan would go to the Bahamas every so often for military exercises and testing.  So that was out.  Guam is, well....a small island in the middle of nowhere and did not appeal to either of us.  It came down to Italy or Japan.  Italy offered ease of travel whereas Japan would just be entirely different.  We decided on Italy.

Dan put in for several jobs in Italy and one job in Japan.  And then we waited.  And waited.  Dan deployed in February.  And I waited and I emailed Dan and I harassed him if he had heard anything.  He had not.

I started working full-time, and took a trip to Laos and Thailand for most of March.

FINALLY, in April we received orders.  Hurray!  We're going to Italy! .......Now what?


Congratulations!  You're Going on a Quest!



Side Note - I sold my car in April and it was very sad.  I get a little sad every time I see a same generation 4Runner.  My parents had purchased it new when I was 10.  My dad drove it for 5 years and I drove it for 12.  Of my current friends, I only have one that I have had since I was 10.  The 4Runner has been a bigger part of my life than most of you.  Think about that.  (I may be getting rid of some of you in this move too!  Just kidding....maybe)


Side Side Note - I have been driving Dan's car.  I hate Dan's car.  Remember this fact, it will come up again.