Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Unaccompanied Baggage

This takes place on July 18th

Unaccompanied Baggage, sometimes called UAB.  It has such a sense of confidence in its name, don't you think? I mean, I'm TOTALLY convinced I'll see it again.  Really I am...

The UAB movers are supposed to be here between 9 and 10 am.   I had to run to the base clinic this morning so that I could get my PPD done.  I had no idea how long that would take so I get up and go early.  I cannot go later because the Immunizations office closes at 12:00 on Fridays.  Of course it does.

There is lots of waiting, and I have to fill in another immunizations form, but it goes smoothly for the most part.  I learn that people who are heavily tattooed on their forearms cause problems with PPD tests.  The sub-dermal injection must be done in a "clear" spot so it can be read later.  Lots of tattoos means it can't be read clearly.  Fun fact.  

Anyway, I get out and I go and get bagels from Yorgo's Bakery.  They have very good bagels.

I have been told by anyone who's had a smooth packing that offering food to the movers usually puts you in their good graces.  Since it was a morning pack, I got bagels.  I did not want extra doughnuts lying around tempting me.  I would eat them.  I've been trying to workout so that I can get fat on gelato in Italy.  (It may also be one of the few Italian words I know.  I have totally failed at learning Italian in the last 3 months.)



Look!  It's 445lbs* of our stuff!  (not including the table, nightstand, or radiator)

The movers arrive a little after 10, but that's okay.  At least they are close to their time frame.  There are only two of them, but this move maxes out at 800lbs and none of it can be furniture.  I had collected all of the items in our dining room because I barely used it anyway and it was a good place for them to gather and not be in the way.  I also figured if everything was in one place that the move itself would go faster.  

Not knowing how this would go, I just planned to deal with the move all day.  I spent most of the time reading comics on the couch trying to stay out of their way.  The one mover made the comment I know adults collect comics and little kids read 'em, but I ain't never seen an adult read them.  That's cool.   

They were done by 11:15.  It all went well as far as I could tell.  They were polite and seemed to know what they were doing.  They liked their bagels.  I signed the paperwork and almost promptly misplaced it.

Level Completed! - UAB Move Complete!

*I found this out later, after they had taken it away.