Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Passport, Now Visa

July 28th

Friday I got a wonderful call.   My military passport arrived!  I could not do anything about it then as I was leaving Boston and wouldn't be back until later that night.  The passport office would be long closed.

Monday morning I gather all my visa documents.  Dan had been successful in acquiring the various things I needed from him.  I am ready for this I tell myself.  

I almost skipped down the hallway to the passport office.  It's new guy again.  Remember him?  I couldn't tell if he was a receptionist or not because of where his desk is placed.  I tell him I'm there to pick up my passport.

He riffles through some papers in a drawer and finds an envelope with my name on it.  I get my civilian passport returned to me and a handful of other documents.  I have to fill in the Visa Application form and hand over a copy of Dan's orders, an original of our marriage license, Dan's page 2, my driver's license,  and my military ID.   New guy keeps my military passport.  He takes my papers, gives me my IDs back and tells me That's it.

"How long will it take to get the visa?"
It could take a week.  It could take a month or so.  It depends on how good they're being.

I almost want to ask who THEY are, and if I can encourage them to expedite their process by providing them with cookies.  I realize this may not go over well.  

At least my passport finally arrived.  Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the visa people are in a good mood.  C'mon week turn around!