Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Passport Adventure Begins

This takes place the last week of May/1st week of June

Dan gets back to me that according to the office in Italy, I don't need the no-fee passport as long as I have my Military ID, regular passport, and a copy of Dan's orders.

Around the same time I had discovered there was a passport office and called them.  They informed me I had to have a copy of Dan's orders WITH MY NAME IN THEM (this was heavily stressed), a proof of citizenship, a passport application filled in, two passport photos, as well as DD Form 1056 signed in BLUE INK, as well as some letter that say the Command says I can get a passport and go to Italy.  I may have also needed to sacrifice a fatted calf on the full moon at midnight.  I tell all Dan this.

I'm just going to say this now,  I hate DD Form 1056.

Dan gets back to me that the Italian office isn't so sure about the no-fee passport, in fact the Yeoman he's been dealing with there is convinced I don't need one at all.  The US side is pretty adamant that I need one.  Clearly no one knows what is going on.  You'd think they'd have figured this out by now, considering they do it all the time.  (Note:  I end up thinking and saying this a lot over the next few months.  As you will see, they haven't figured it out.)

Dan also states that my name doesn't need to be in his orders.  He checked and no one has heard of this being done.

So to sum up, the leaving office (US) says I need all of these things to go to Italy.  The receiving office (Italy) isn't really sure if I need them or not, but maybe not, so I shouldn't worry about it.   

This requires further investigation.